Bachelor of Theology (BTh)
A four-year degree program that provides students with vocational training and offers a thorough and solid grounding in Bible theology, doctrine and the practice of ministry, within a strong Spirit-filled local church ethos.
The Bachelor of Theology degree is a 120-credit program, delivered online, requiring a minimum of 60 credits earned through TNIU courses. The program is designed to provide the educational background needed by those preparing for a pastoral or preaching ministry.
For both the ACM and BTh, course requirements are structured to ensure that student study encompasses a broad range of topics and approaches, with an appropriate balance maintained among the three curricular components that comprise a university education: Core, General Education, Theological Studies.
The New International University academic programs are designed for ministers, ministerial students, and those who are serious in their desire for a Biblical education. For those with previous undergraduate training, advanced academic placement through transfer of credit is possible. The overarching goals for the degree program are:
- A comprehensive knowledge of the Old and New Testaments.
- A comprehensive knowledge of the theological principles that serve as a foundation of the Christian faith.
- Relevant Biblical and theological principles in local ministry contexts.
- An awareness and appreciation of the various areas of general education, including humanities and arts, social, behavioural and natural sciences, mathematics, oral and written communication, and computer skills.
- The appreciation and practice of lifelong learning.
- Effective participation in Christian ministry.
- A foundation for advanced academic and professional endeavors.
- Direction for personal spiritual growth and development.
- The development for a Christian worldview and lifestyle.
- A Biblical, theological foundation for ministry.
- The basic knowledge, understanding, and skills for ministry.
- Encouragement to participate actively in church life and ministry.
- The skills to study, think, and communicate successfully for ministry.
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Theology degree, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a foundational knowledge of Scripture and the doctrines of the Church and Pentecostal renewal Christian traditions.
- Integrate Biblical and theological knowledge with the philosophical and practical application of ministry.
- Communicate with clarity and conviction in written and oral formats;
- Demonstrate a knowledge of worldviews, cultural issues, sciences, and math.
- Respond Biblically, ethically, and philosophically to cultural and spiritual issues.
- Analyze principles of leadership and interpersonal interactions that reflect a Christ-centered life of character and integrity.
- Answer critical questions concerning authorship, time, and place of composition of the Old and New Testament Bible books.
- Identify the primary people, places, and events described in the Bible.
- Articulate an understanding of the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, as well as the illumination of the Holy Spirit, in the reading and application of Scripture.
Bachelor Theology Graduation Requirements
Currently, TNIU offers one Graduation Date each year in May. To graduate with the Bachelor of Theology degree, the student must:
- Successfully complete a minimum of 120 semester credits of coursework, including required courses, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- Successfully satisfy both the Junior and Senior Ministry Practicum as well as the Senior Capstone Project requirements.
- Complete any outstanding homework and fulfill any past due financial obligations to TNIU.
- File the Graduation Application during the Fall Semester (typically Sept-Dec), preceding the May graduation, before participation in graduation ceremonies will be considered. For more detail, please see the Graduation Requirements section in the Catalog below.